Hello! Long time no speak. I’ve missed you!
You may quite rightly be wondering who on earth this email/post is from. Perky Pancake you say?? Yes, I remember the name but I can’t quite remember from where…
Let’s just say it’s been far too long and I can only apologise. Our third birthday even came and went without acknowledgement!
You see, I’ve been a little pre-occupied with a new little hobby in my life. That hobby was born in January and since his arrival it’s fair to say that simply getting a meal on the table at the end of the day has been a major achievement. Photographing and subsequently writing about said meal didn’t exactly feature high on the agenda I’m afraid. Super mummy I am not it seems.
But now 8 months down the line of this process of bringing up a human being (how terrifying is that concept?!), I am totally ready to get back to the Perky Pancake…that’s assuming you’ll have me of course!
The good news is that whilst I may not have been photographing, I have definitely been cooking up some delicious new recipes and I’m dying to share them with you.
So let’s get started with a super healthy salad. The name says it all: a yummy combination of crisp broccoli, spinach and herbs combined quinoa, some toasted flaked almonds for texture and golden raisins for sweetness, all brought together with a lemony yoghurt dressing.
It’s wonderfully fresh, light, and visually appealing and goes really well with grilled chicken, salmon, pork fillet or even just on it’s own if you’re feeling particularly virtuous!
It’s great to be back. See you again soon for some more deliciousness…less virtuous next time I promise!
Green Quinoa Salad with Lemon Yoghurt Dressing
Serves 2 people as a salad or 4 as a base for chicken/salmon/etc
For the salad:
1/2 cup quinoa
200g tender stem broccoli, chopped into small lengths or 1 small head regular broccoli cut into bite-size florets
60g baby spinach leaves, washed
3 salad onions, chopped into thin slices
Small handful golden raisins (about 25g)
Small handful flaked almonds (about 50g)
20g flat leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
For the dressing:
3/4 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing: put all of the ingredients into a clean jam jar, put on the lid and give it a really good shake. Keep in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Cook the quinoa: in a medium saucepan with a lid add the quinoa and 1 cup water (you always need double the amount of water to quinoa). Cook for 15 minutes in total – bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer with the lid on throughout. After 15 minutes all the water should have been absorbed. If not, check to see if the quinoa is cooked (it should still have a slight bite and the white “tails” of the grains will have separated) and drain out the excess moisture. Place a clean tea towel between the saucepan and lid and leave to steam for a further 10 minutes.
- Cook the broccoli: add the broccoli to a medium saucepan of boiling water. Cook for about 2 minutes – until still crisp. Get a bowl of iced water ready whilst it cooks, drain then add to the iced water to stop the broccoli going that horrid grey-green as it cools.
- Toast the almonds until they’re golden brown in a non stick frying pan over a medium heat for about 3 minutes – keep an eye on them though and keep them moving.
- In a big salad bowl, add all of the salad ingredients and toss together. Once ready to eat, pour over the dressing and give it a good mix.
The dressing can be made 5 days ahead and kept sealed in the fridge. You can also make up the salad ingredients in the morning ready for the evening. Just don’t dress it until you’re ready to eat.